MacBook Pro: Installing RAM
Update (Aug. 2016): This page is ancient. Consult a more recent guide.
If you are going to upgrade your MacBook Pro’s memory, here are my tips. It is really not hard at all if you follow them!
- Go ahead and buy RAM from someone other than Apple, but make sure it is compatible.
- Go ahead and install it yourself; it’s easy.
- Follow your MacBook’s printed documentation, not online instructions! For exapmle, iFixit tells you to unscrew things that really shouldn’t be unscrewed (like your hinges!).
- Push the little suckers in firmly!
- If you try to turn on your computer after finishing and it just flashes the status light instead, you could have bad RAM – but more likely, you didn’t push the RAM in far enough. Try again.
(When this tip was originally posted, I also noted, “Apple has recalled some MacBook Pro batteries. See their site for details. Replacing the battery is easy, fast, and free.”)